Youth Protection the Cree Way
Our mission is to adapt Youth Protection Services and certain Youth Criminal Justice Services in Eeyou Istchee to Cree culture, values, needs and realities.
The Commission has two goals
1. Short term goal
To provide recommendations to Task Force and to the Board of Directors of CBHSSJB
2. Long term goal
Creation of a Special Cree Youth Protection Program
- Examine current issues Cree people face with Youth Protection (YP) and Youth Criminal Justice (YCJ) matters, including through special consultation and engagement sessions with stakeholders in Cree communities.
- Identify areas of concern
- Propose areas to change and guiding Cree principles to address concerns
- Create recommendations to adapt practices and approaches for YP and YCJ Services in Eeyou Istchee, including for “section 37.5” (now known as section 131.20) and Bill C-92.
- Move forward to create a Cree Youth Protection Program, including relevant YCJ matters. | Meet the Commissioners
Awash-Uschiniichisuu Shikascheimuun Task Force
The Task Force is mandated to collaborate with representatives from regional partners, and advise the CBHSSJB Board on options to better adapt youth protection and youth criminal justice for Eeyou Istchee. | Read more about the Task Force