ᒑᔥᑎᐱᔥᑎᐦᒡ | Commissioners
Bella M. Petawabano
Bella Moses Petawabano has worked for more than 40 years in health and social services for the wellbeing of our people.
Watch Bella’s video – Bella introduces herself and explains why the Commission’s work is important (ᐄᔨᔨᐅᔨᒧᐎᓐ | IIYIYIUYIMUWIN)
Lorraine Spencer is iiyiyiu psychologist from Chisasibi who has always served her people and dedicated herself to healing and empowerment, specializing in helping those who have experienced developmental and intergenerational trauma.
Watch Lorraine’s video – Lorraine introduces herself and explains why the Commission’s work is important
The Commission has two goals
1. Short term goal
To provide recommendations to Task Force and to the Board of Directors of CBHSSJB
2. Long term goal
Creation of a Special Cree Youth Protection Program
- Examine current issues Cree people face with Youth Protection (YP) and Youth Criminal Justice (YCJ) matters, including through special consultation and engagement sessions with stakeholders in Cree communities.
- Identify areas of concern
- Propose areas to change and guiding Cree principles to address concerns
- Create recommendations to adapt practices and approaches for YP and YCJ Services in Eeyou Istchee, including for “section 37.5” (now known as section 131.20) and Bill C-92.
- Move forward to create a Cree Youth Protection Program, including relevant YCJ matters.